The slumping offense for the Detroit Tigers was bailed out by their catcher tonight. With Don Kelly on first, Alex Avila hit a monster shot to right center field to give the Detroit Tigers a 4-3 lead. Jose Valverde entered the game and had some trouble locating the strike zone. But great defensive plays by Omar Infante and Don Kelly helped him earn his 3rd save and the Tigers their second straight win. A win the Tigers struggled to get against a team they should beat.
- Doug Fister was in line for his 5th win of the season but the wheels cam off in the 7th inning when the Astros scored three runs to take a one run lead.
- Prince Fielder walked three times to add to his major league leading total of 24.
- Victor Martinez nearly had a home run but had to settle for an RBI single. V-Mart hit a shot to right that appeared to hit of the top of the yellow line on the right field wall. After an instant replay review, the umpires ruled it playable and gave Martinez a long single.
- Dirks batted in the lead-off spot in place of the resting Austin Jackson. He went 1-5 with a stolen base.
- Jose Valverde recorded his third save. He is 3-3 in save opportunities with a 0.00 ERA.
The Tigers will continue their series against the Astros on Saturday with first pitch at 7:10 EST. Due to the Stanley Cup Playoffs the game will air on Fox Sports Detroit plus.