How do you know when it’s NBA draft lottery day? When you see David stern taking ping-pong balls out of the freezer. All kidding aside the NBA holds the annual drawing ahead of the draft to determine order for the top of the draft. The more losses the more chances you have to win.
Qualifying teams converge tonight for a drawing to see which lucky team will get the top pick. Each team will send a representative to the lottery. The Detroit Pistons are sending their 2012 first round pick, Andre Drummond to rep the D.
The Detroit Pistons have the 7th best odds of getting the first overall pick at 4.3%in the NBA Draft Lottery. But winning might make Joe Dumars chair just a bit hotter. There is no definitive #1 player in this years draft which means the 1st overall selection in 2013 won’t be a no-brainer as it has been in past drafts. That fact has left some wondering whether the Pistons would be better off not winning it after all. We will find out tonight when the ping-pong balls bounce.
When: Tuesday, May 21 at 8:30 p.m. ET
Where: Disney/ABC’s Times Square Studios, New York City, New York
Here are the odds on getting the first pick for each lottery qualifying team:
- Orlando Magic, 25 percent
- Charlotte Bobcats, 19.9 percent
- Cleveland Cavaliers, 15.6 percent
- Phoenix Suns, 11.9 percent
- New Orleans Pelicans, 8.8 percent
- Sacramento Kings, 6.3 percent
- Detroit Pistons, 4.3 percent
- Washington Wizards, 2.8 percent
- Minnesota Timberwolves, 1.7 percent
- Portland Trail Blazers, 1.1 percent (Belongs to CHA of outside of top-12)
- Philadelphia 76ers, 0.8 percent
- Toronto Raptors, 0.7 percent (Belongs to OKC if outside of top-3)
- Dallas Mavericks, 0.6 percent
- Utah Jazz, 0.5 percent