Since the Detroit Pistons fired Lawrence Frank they have been rumored to be interested in nearly every assistant and recycled head coach in the NBA. My Brother-in-law Dan even got a call from the Pistons after leading my nephews sixth grade team to the playoffs but he declined to be interviewed saying that he needed something with more stability.
Stability. That is probably why the Detroit Pistons don’t get quality candidates anymore. Joe Dumars has fired 8 head coaches since he took over as Vice President of Player Personnel and the average life expectancy of a coach under his direction is about 2 years. That would make sense if all the coaches he hired had losing records but that is not the case. Between 2001 and 2008 Dumars fired three consecutive coaches with winning percentages over .600.
Here is the list of head coaches hired and fired by Dumars and their records:
- 1998 -2000 - Alvin Gentry 73-72
- 2000 -2001 - George Irvine 46-60
- 2001 – 2003 - Rick Carlisle 100-64 **2001-02 Coach of the Year
- 2003 -2005 - Larry Brown 108-56**2004 NBA Champions
- 2005 – 2008 - Flip Saunders 176-70
- 2008 – 2009 – Micheal Curry 39-43
- 2009 – 2011 – John Kuester 39-43
- 2011 – 2013 – Lawrence Frank 54-94