After the gut wrenching and heartbreaking loss to arch rival Ohio State. Some Michigan fans are screaming: Fire Brady Hoke! Is the ire of the Michigan fans misplaced? Or does Brady Hoke deserve to be fired?
Well if you are in the fire Brady Hoke camp, he has certainly given you plenty of ammunition
- Two straight games of negative rushing yards and under 200 yards total offense.
- A completely humiliating loss to in-state rival Michigan State.
- Terrible offensive performances against Nebraska and Iowa
- A drop from #17 in the AP poll to being unranked.
- Little to no contribution from Brady Hoke recruits
- Questionable calls on fourth down in the Penn State and Ohio State games.
- Going for two against Ohio State with :36 left when a PAT would have tied the game, sending it to OT
- The growing perception that Hoke has little control over game time decisions
To understand the disappointment of Michigan fans we should look at how Brady Hoke got the job in the first place.
The Rich Rodriquez era ended at Michigan with a resounding thud. Rich-Rod was supposed to bring National Championship swagger to the Wolverines. Instead his legacy at Michigan was marked by an upset loss to Toledo and NCAA sanctions for violating practice rules.
Brady Hoke came to Michigan with the promise of returning Michigan to its traditional style. He was going to bring smash mouth ball control offense and crushing defense in the tradition of Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr.
Hoke’s first season was a success! He seemed to flawlessly transition the Rodriguez recruits into a hybrid spread/pro style offense leading his team to 11 wins. A mark Brady Hoke hasn’t come close to again.
The next two seasons have seen a football program in decline.
2012 saw a disappointing 8-5 finish highlighted by an Outback Bowl embarrassment at the hands of South Carolina.
2013 did not end well. Michigan is reeling after a heart breaking loss to Ohio State and with a 3-5 record in the Big Ten they finished near the bottom on the Legends division. That’s right I said THE BOTTOM. Not a place Michigan fans are used to being.
Michigans 7-5 2013 regular season record is one game below than last years peformance.
So it is easy to see why even rational Michigan fans are calling for Athletic Director David Brandon to fire Brady Hoke. But is it the right move?
Tell us what you think!