Detroit Lions Beat San Francisco 49ers by 32-17 Final Score


The Detroit Lions defeated the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday afternoon in the final home game of the season by a score of 32-17.

The Detroit Lions defense struggled early in the game versus the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers are one of the worst offenses in the NFL but they moved the ball early and often against the Lions on Sunday, including an 11-play, 80-yard touchdown drive to open the game. It was the first time the 49ers had scored a touchdown on their first possession of a game all season.

The Lions answered back with a field goal and a long touchdown drive of their own. An 74-yard drive was capped off by a 29-yard touchdown strike from Matthew Stafford to T.J. Jones, but the 49ers would mount an 82-yard scoring drive of their own to take back the lead at 14-10.

The Detroit defense allowed San Francisco to amass 265 yards of total offense in the first half alone which helped the 49ers tally 17 points heading into the locker room.

Related Story: Best Draft Picks in Detroit Lions History

The defense did come up with one big play, however, which helped the Lions take the lead into the break. The 49ers found themselves in a third-and-eight situation from their own 12 yard line when quarterback Blaine Gabbert was pressured, sacked, and stripped of the football. Tahir Whitehead fell on the ball, and the Lions had a quick first-and-goal from the San Francisco one yard line.

More from Detroit Lions

Joique Bell punched in the football on the ensuing play, giving the Lions a 17-14 lead midway through the second quarter. The two teams traded field goals from there and ended the half with Detroit up 20-17.

The Lions received the second half kickoff and mounted an impressive drive, but a missed snap count (everyone moved except center Travis Swanson) on third-and-three inside the red zone contributed to a stalled drive and a successful field goal attempt.

The scored would hold at 23-17 until the 9:07 mark in the fourth quarter when the Lions were able to methodically march down the field. A pass interference call set up a first-and-goal situation from the one yard line, and Stafford found Calvin Johnson for a quick touchdown strike. A two point conversion attempt was no good, but the Lions were up by two scores, 29-17.

Detroit was able to milk some clock and tack on a field goal to go ahead 32-17 with just over 3:00 to play in the game. The defense stood tall and did its job to close out the game.

More from Detroit Jock City

After a questionable first half, the Lions defense answered the bell in the second half, shutting out the 49ers and holding them to just 58 total yards after halftime.