It’s officially here. Today is the day. The Detroit Tigers have reached the 2021 MLB Draft, and it is time for the team to make their pick. The organization is going to be adding another top-flight talent to the organization tonight.
Over the past few months, a few things have become pretty clear in regards to the best talents. Here are my rankings heading into tonight’s big show. (Opinionated)
- Best Collegiate Arm: Jack Leiter – RHP, Vanderbilt
- Best High School Arm: Jackson Jobe – RHP, Heritage Hall (Oklahoma)
- Best Collegiate Bat: Henry Davis – C, Louisville
- Best High School Bat: Marcelo Mayer – SS, Eastlake (California)
The Detroit Tigers are heading into the first round without knowing 100% who they will select. There is a consensus of who will be available, but there is no certain pick. In some seasons, the first few picks are all known.
Looking back on 2019, Adley Rutschman was a sure-bet for number one, and Bobby Witt Jr. was nearly a sure-bet for two, so that worked out great. However, this year, there are many very talented players at the top of the draft board.
The Detroit Tigers are heading into the MLB Draft; the final prediction is Marcelo Mayer.
More from Detroit Jock City
- Tigers Sign Manager A.J. Hinch to Long-Term Extension
- Lions vs. Bears Week 14 Opening Odds Disrespect Detroit
- Former Tigers Celebrate Jim Leyland Hall of Fame Call
- This Pistons Team Could be the Worst in Detroit Sports History
- 4 Free Agents Tigers Should Sign During Winter Meetings
With draft night finally here, all of the mock drafts and predictions will be put to the test. Tonight at 7 p.m. (ET), the draft will kick-off, and the Tigers will make their pick.
That being said, here are my predictions for the top five draft choices.
- Pittsburgh Pirates – Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt
- Texas Rangers – Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (TX)
- Detroit Tigers – Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake (CA)
- Boston Red Sox – Henry Davis, C, Louisville
- Baltimore Orioles – Jackson Jobe, RHP, Heritage Hall (OK)
There you have it… Marcelo Mayer at third overall.
Personally, I am holding out hope that I am wrong and that Jack Leiter falls to third overall. There’s definitely a chance that the Pirates bite on Mayer at one. I stand firm on the idea of Lawlar ending up with the Rangers; I do not see them passing on.
The big thing to pay attention to here is if Leiter falls. If he does not go first overall, I think the Tigers might just luck out and be able to take the stud right-handed pitcher. Frankly, the Tigers fanbase should be rioting if Leiter were to be passed up by this organization.
However, the Tigers have reportedly been super interested in Mayer for a while, which is to be expected. The team is going to do their due diligence in most players within the top ten of the draft rankings.
Mayer would be a great addition to the team and would be a good start to the team’s draft class. If the Tigers do end up with Mayer, they may just be getting the best prep bat in the draft class.
In a few hours, the Tigers will make their pick, and the fanbase will find out who joins the organization as one of the team’s best prospects immediately.